The Football Sports Injury Conference (Virtual Access)
This is Virtual Access for our Football Sports Injury Conference held in Melbourne 2022
*PLEASE NOTE: You can click on the settings "cog" icon for each video to adjust the viewing quality.
Matt is a physiotherapy and sport scientist from Wollongong, NSW. He has been a partner at Figtree Physiotherapy since 2005 and has been involved in sports physiotherapy in many sports - including football, rugby league, triathlon and dance medicine.
Matt completed his PhD in injury prevention in football (2020) in addition to having a Honours degree in Exercise Science (2001) & Rehabilitation and Masters in Physiotherapy (2003). Most recently, Matt has taken on a role at Football Federation Australia (FFA) to design and implement the new national Player Availability Model and the FFA Perform+ program.
Matt's current roles:
1. FFA Player Availability & Perform+ Coordinator
2. Physiotherapist for Football Federation of Australia (FFA) National Teams Unit
3. Medical & Performance Coordinator - Wollongong Wolves FC
4. Head of Player Welfare - Football South Coast (Association)
5. Researcher at the University of Wollongong consulting with the School of Medicine
6. Physiotherapy and Performance Health consultant to Project M Triathlon training.
Enda King Phd
Enda King MSc has over 10 years experience working as a Sports Physiotherapist with athletes and coaches across a spectrum of sports and disciplines. Currently he is Head of Performance Rehabilitation with Sports Surgery Clinic, Dublin, Ireland. Enda completed his BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy degree in Trinity College, Dublin in 2005 then moved to Perth, Australia to undertake the renowned MSc Manipulative Therapy in Curtain University in 2009.
Graduating with distinction Enda returned home and has focused his work in the Sports Surgery Clinic in Ireland around cutting edge methodology for hip and groin injury prevention and rehabilitation. Currently working on his PhD (3D Biomechanics after ACL Reconstruction) with University of Roehamption in London, Enda combines the use of 3D biomechanics and high-level residential rehabilitation to optimize performance and an efficient recovery after injury.
He has worked with athletes across a wide variety of disciplines including rugby, soccer, AFL, NFL, UFC, boxing, jockeys and GAA. His greatest areas of expertise lies within hip and groin related, as well as knee / ACL rehabilitation, and he is committed to performing innovative research to develop robust methods for injury prevention and rehabilitation in elite sport.
Enda has a number of peer-reviewed publications and regularly travels to speak at international conferences on groin injuries, ACL Return To Play and Return To Performance After Injury. Enda also authored the hip and groin chapter in Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation.
He currently lives in Ireland with his wife Michelle, and children Eleanor, Ethan and Iarlaith, while travelling internationally to work with athletes and professional clubs in conjunction with the Sports Surgery Clinic.
- MSc Manipulative Therapy, Curtin University, Perth, Australia
- BSc Physiotherapy, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach
- UKSCA Phd candidate at University of Roehampton (3D Biomechanics after ACL reconstruction)
Dr David Spurrier
- Clinical Consultant – Most-recently to teams in the NBA, AFL/AFL-W, NRL, Super Rugby, MLR, A-League, NBL/WNBL competitions in Australia and the United States.
- St. George-Illawarra Dragons NRL Team (2017-2019)
- Port Adelaide FC AFL (2015-2017)
- Australian Men’s Rugby Sevens (2013-2014).
- ACT Brumbies Super Rugby Team (2006-2011)
- Sale Sharks Rugby Football Club (UK (2006)
- Canberra Raiders NRL Team (2004-2006).
Laura graduated from LaTrobe University in 2008 and has since worked in a number of private practices and hospitals in Melbourne. She is in the process of completing her Masters of Sports Physiotherapy through LaTrobe University and has a keen interest in sports injuries. Laura enjoys treating hip, shoulder and knee pathology. She also has a special interest in Women’s Health, in particular non-invasive re-training of the pelvic floor. Laura has completed individual training in the use of Real Time Ultrasound examination to assist with rehabilitation, including pre and post natal pregnancy patients.
Sports and Exercise Medicine Physician at Olympic Park Sports Medicine Clinic and Melbourne Football Club with specific interests in the use of exercise to improve health and wellbeing, adolescent sports medicine and acute sporting injuries.
Sarah Warby is a shoulder physiotherapist with the Melbourne Shoulder Group. The Melbourne Shoulder Group specialises in the assessment and treatment of shoulder conditions and includes Lyn Watson, Simon Balster, Ross Lenssen , Kat Davis, Daniel Vernon and Tania Pizzari. Sarah has a keen interest in treating all types of shoulder injuries, but especially rehabilitation for shoulder instability.
Sarah’s PhD investigated the effect of two different rehabilitation programs for patients with multidirectional instability of the shoulder (MDI). This research is a world first and found that a scapular specific and overhead rehabilitation program ( The Watson MDI Program) was significantly better than the standard rehabilitation for MDI in the literature. This research won the ASICS sports medal at the 2016 Sports Medicine Australia conference.
Sarah also tutors clinical skills and anatomy at La Trobe University, Bundoora.
Sarah plans to continue her clinical work and research work in the area of shoulder rehabilitation with the Melbourne Shoulder Group.
Shoulder and Elbow Physiotherapists Australasia (SEPA)
Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA)
Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
Professor Craig Purdam
- Undergraduate (1975)
- Postgraduate diploma in Sports (1992)
- Master in Sports (2000)
- Specialist Sports Physiotherapy following his Fellowship of the Australian College of Physiotherapists (2009)
- Honorary Doctor of Science from La Trobe University (2018)